Thursday, August 23, 2012

Aromas Day.........by Joyce Oroz


                                                Aromas Day 2012

 

      Aromas Day is coming soon, Sunday, August 26th and the ’kick-off’ is a country-style pancake breakfast and auction at the grange, 7:00 to 11:00. The street fair runs from 9:00 to 4:00 and the parade starts at 2:00.

      If you think all street fairs are the same, like the bazillion I’ve been to, let me tell you about the Aromas Day celebration I attended last year. I arrived with a ho-hum attitude, parked in the designated lot and rode the free horse-drawn wagon into town. I felt like I was in an old western movie as the Giant Draft horses plodded up the street, wearing horseshoes the size of dinner plates.

      As I stepped down from the wagon I was surrounded by music, food, games, booths, original art and so much more. By the end of the day I had a new appreciation for small town hospitality, ingenuity and festivity. To put it bluntly, I had more fun than ants at a picnic.

 

      This year I plan to march in the parade and then hang out at the main stage where live bands entertain all day. I’ll indulge in my favorite fair-foods and buy an Aromas souvenir t-shirt.

      If you’re like me, and love original artwork, don’t miss the AHA exhibits surrounding the park in the center of town. It’s not the same old, same old, and the prices are great. Meet the artists from the AROMAS HILLS ARTISANS, (AHA’s) and lose yourself in their beautiful creations.

      As you stroll through the recently renovated park, the various artists will be happy to discuss their medias and methods with you. Be on the look-out for hand pulled prints, fabulous stained glass, oil paintings, ceramics, and photography. Or maybe you are interested in weaving, hand made jewelry, inlaid wooden boxes, gourds and wreaths.

      Children and the ‘young at heart’ will enjoy the petting zoo featuring farm animals such as chickens, ducks, little goats and bunnies. And, of course, there will be pony rides.

      Older children will want to tackle the Climbing Wall, the Dunk Tank and the Parade or just ride the free buckboard all over town. There will be enough hot dogs, cupcakes and snow cones to feed an army, not to mention BBQ from the two grocery stores. 4-H Youth will be selling popcorn, homemade jams, plants and planters.

      One of the things that impressed me at last year’s festival was the display of Classic Cars and Tractors, real eye-candy.     

     


     If you really want to be impressed, stop in at the Dragonfly Gallery. The new dragonfly t-shirts will be for sale in many colors and sizes. There are so many new things to see, original paintings, stained glass, photography, cards, books, jewelry and so much more!

      Don’t forget to visit the Aromas Library and check out the new mural created by AHA artists.

     

      Believe me when I say, Aromas Day is a free, family-friendly get-together you won’t want to miss. See you there!

                                            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment