Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Artist, Jovita Hilliker........Joyce Oroz




  Jovita Hilliker has been chosen “Artist of the Month” for October 2014 at the Dragonfly Gallery, 380 Blohm, Aromas. If you would like to meet Jovita in person, stop by the gallery for a Meet and Greet Saturday, October 18th 2:00 to 4:00 pm. She is a member of the Aromas Hills Artisans and shows her work at the Dragonfly Gallery. Ms. Hilliker is an exceptional watercolorist with her own unique style, which I happen to love. Jovita has an interesting and up-lifting life story to tell. In her own words: 

Art has always been a part of my life. My Grandmother, Pearl Tupper, was a self taught artist from childhood. She included me at a young age, in a lot of her art meetings, classes, and late night drawing and painting sessions. I grew up to feel and think like an artist.

    My grandmother mostly worked in oils and pastels. For many years I believed that if you were to be a true artist,that is what you worked in. I've had experience in many different mediums. About twelve years ago, at my son’s suggestion, I began to doodle in watercolor. At this time I truly found myself, and fell in love with watercolor.
    I received an Associate Degree in Art from Hartnel College, in Salinas California. I studied under the Watercolorist Elizabeth Kinkaid for almost five years. I acquired a lot of confidence and technique from her, such as the technique of using many glazes or color washes, which has become a part of my work.
    Ten years ago I completed treatments for breast cancer. While I was undergoing treatment, I would sit in the chair and paint. During this time a new style began to emerge. Scenes made up of many different shapes, separated by spaces. I have applied this new style to the local scenes I find myself drawn to. Painting both on location and from photographs I take along the way.
   Please join me on my quest as an artist, experiencing something new every day.

          


I am a hairdresser four days a week at Prunedale Beauty and Barber 8041 San Miguel Canyon Road, Prunedale. 

 I have 9 chickens and 3 cats and a very needy Chihuahua and husband at home. I try to fit in painting when I can. I Paint every Wednesday with some friends in Soquel--that keeps me painting.


I have a website that I'm still getting up and going. Www.jovitahilliker.com And you can always find my current work and card at the salon.
Currently I have a few new paintings at the Dragonfly Gallery in Aromas.

Thank you, Jovita for an inspiring look into you work and your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment