Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Artist of the Month.......by Joyce oroz



By popular demand, David Coombes is the Dragonfly Gallery
“Artist of the Month” for July. He is an active AHA member, a seriously wonderful photographer, and an all around nice guy. Need something hung at the gallery? Ask David. Everyone does.
Now I will turn you over to David, who will tell us how he became a photographer.

It all began a long, long time ago on a planet far, far away, when I discovered that my parents owned a Brownie 44 box camera. I was 5 years old and it was fun seeing everything upside down in the viewfinder. I used to play with it until they discovered that it actually had an undeveloped film in it. It was even more fun when they had it developed – nothing memorable but I was hooked. I got my first camera, a Kodak 35mm Instamatic, on my 10th birthday and I still have the black and white snaps from the first film in a scrapbook. Since that time, I usually have a camera close at hand – you never know when that perfect shot will present itself.

As far as equipment goes, technology has moved on a bit from the Box Brownie, so my next camera was a Praktica LTL3, followed by a Canon AE1, then on the a Canon Rebel and then on to a variety of Canon Digital SLRs. Just switched to a 5d mk III. All lenses are Canon EF.

Having spent a lot of time photographing people and many friends’ weddings, I have generally moved away from humans as subject matters and now focus (no pun intended) on wildlife, nature, sunsets and landscapes – as well as the occasional trains, planes and automobiles.

The photos that are in the galleries contain the copyright text which will not be on the ordered photos. All photos are for sale and can be custom ordered as matted prints in luster, gloss or as stretched canvas.

Thank you, David, for sharing your story.

To see David’s work, toddle on down to the Dragonfly Gallery at
380 Blohm Ave. in down town Aromas—open 1-4:00
Thursdays and Fridays or by appointment. 831-224-8888

If you would like to donate a few hours working at the gallery, we would welcome you aboard. Your community service might be the pleasant distraction you are looking for.





No comments:

Post a Comment