Friday, February 10, 2012

Lentils, a Wise Choice.......by Joyce Oroz



If you are leaning toward lentils, let me explain the lentils in my life. From the beginning they seemed bland and I didn’t like their texture—they had no particular smell and they weren’t even pretty. So what’s to like about lentils?

The answer is my easy crock-pot lentil soup! Gluten-free and vegetarian if you wish.

I happen to have a “chopping disability” and I’m always running late so I tinkered around with a few recipes and came up with a really good one. Fire up your crock-pot or slow-cooker and here we go………

Crock-pot Lentil Soup Ingredients

One pound lentils, rinsed

7 cups vegetable or chicken broth

3 T grapeseed or olive oil

3 T dehydrated onion flakes

2 t garlic powder

1 T cumin powder

1 T curry powder

2 t turmeric powder

1 T coriander

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in crock-pot or cooker. Cook on medium temp for 5 to 7 hours or until lentils are soft.
Stir in 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda….a little at a time. Stir until the foam disappears. Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment