Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tiara Trouble--Lane Buckman.......Joyce Oroz



Don't let the tiara fool you, Lane Buckman is a down to earth exceptional writer of great stories--three different genres actually. She writes about love, mystery and vampires. Her publishers are Cozy Cat Press and Omnific Publishing. For Mystery lovers, Lane has a series called the Destinee Faith Miller Mystery series. You will love her witty answers to my questions, so here she is:

Lane,please tell us who or what influenced your decision to be a writer, and in particular, a cozy mystery writer?

My elementary school friend, Laurie Schieble, who was a few years ahead of me, introduced me to Julie Andrews' book THE LAST OF THE REALLY GREAT WHANGDOODLES.  That was in 3rd Grade. Laurie's enthusiasm was the deciding factor for me.  I wanted to write a stories that would entertain her because I adored and looked up to her.  We both liked Battlestar Gallactica and Star Blazers, and I started writing short stories and scenes crossing over those two series, and sharing those with her on our bus rides home.  Anything for Laurie's approval!  It's wonderful that I can still count her as a friend.

Later, it was C.S. Lewis who made me want to continue.  THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS was a transcendental experience for me.  I wanted to be able to do what he had done!  That's not happened yet, and I'm pretty sure it won't, but good to have lofty goals.

I've just always written.  I'm an only child, and stories were good friends to me.  When I ran out of stories to read, I wrote my own.

Writing a cozy happened rather organically.  The main character, Destinee Faith Miller, popped into my head and we were off to the races.




How long have you been writing? Are there things you like to write other than mysteries?

I've been writing professionally since 1998, when I took on a role that required a lot of technical writing.  Around the same time, I started writing round-robin style fiction with my friend, Laura Christian.  The response we got made me feel like I might have a real shot at this novel-writing thing.  Later, I worked with my longtime writing partner, Nicole Vlachos, and together we published THE ORDER OF THE BLOOD--that's a vampire novel.

I write in several different genres.  I have a romance novel coming from Omnific Publishing in the Summer of 2014 called PLAYING ALL THE ANGLES.  For branding purposes, all my romance will come out under the pen name, Nicole Lane.  I'm also working on the second in the Destinee Faith Miller Mystery series, and have a Young Adult and a psychological thriller in the outlining stages.

Lane, are you a little bit or a lot like your protagonist?

I wish I were more like my protagonist. Destinee is shallow, and she's vain, but she's a brilliant businesswoman and she's made quite a success of herself. She takes rejection and defeat far better than I do, and she's got more sass in her step.  We're both optimistic, and we both work hard, but she looks a lot better doing it. I'm all about my yoga pants.

What is your style or method of writing, and what is your typical day like?

I usually start my day around 6am. I have a day job, so after I've taken my son to school, I head that way.  I'm home by 6pm, and after I've cooked and we've had dinner (my husband does the cleaning up, bless him!), homework's been done, and the boy has been tucked in for the night, I spend some time with my husband, then flip open the laptop. My prime writing hours are between 10pm and 12am. I try to get something on paper every night.  Try being the catch word.

Lane, you are such a busy lady! Where do you live and why?

We live in Dallas, Texas. My father retired from the Marine Corps and after having lived all over the country, we settled here near friends of his.  I love Texas.  Right about the time I considered moving off, I fell in love with a Texan, so here I stayed.

What activities, hobbies, etc. do you do when you are not writing?

I have an 8-year-old, so my hobbies revolve around him right now.  I fantasize about guitar lessons, learning to tap dance, or taking up Krav Maga, but all that's going to have to wait a while.  For the time being, I'm really into Legos, Adventure Time, comic books, and teaching my son the domestic arts.  His future spouse will thank me.

Lane,how can we find your work? Website, blog Amazon?

I'm on facebook as LaneBuckmanAuthor, and on Twitter and Tumblr as @lanelese --that's a mashup of my first and middle names.

Thank you, Lane for taking the time to share your story with us today. You are an amazing lady. Thank you for giving us good books to read! Happy reading everyone. 

1 comment: