Torta Del Re—King’s Cake
This is a traditional cake of the Piedmont region of Northern Italy.
It is also a popular Passover cake among Italian Jews.
And appreciated by gluten intolerant people all over the world who appreciate delicious cake. Use sugar or substitute with stevia or xylitol. I like to use half sugar, half substitute.
5 eggs, separated
2 cups almond meal
½ t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract
Zest and juice of one lemon
Artificial sweetener equal to 1 ¼ cups sugar
Heat oven to 325, grease 10 inch baking dish or pan
- whisk egg yolks until light in color
- beat the rest of the ingredients except egg white,
ending with the almond meal. It will be stiff.
- beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- combine one third of the egg whites with the rest
of the mixture to loosen it up.
- fold in the rest of the egg whites, and put in pan.
- bake for about 30 minutes until toothpick comes
out clean. Let it cool completely in pan.
Don't worry, there is no cabbage in this cake recipe