Tuesday, October 11, 2011

David Coombes talks photography......by Joyce Oroz













Today I turn the spotlight on a distinguished photographer and AHA member, David Coombes. David's pictures capture nature at it's best. He actively supports the Aromas Hills Artisans and the Dragonfly Gallery.

• David, please tell us about yourself and how you became a photographer.

My parents owned a Brownie 44 box camera which I used to play with and then they discovered that it actually had an undeveloped film in it. I was 5 years old at the time and it was fun seeing everything upside down in the viewfinder. It was even more fun when they had it developed – nothing memorable but I was hooked. My first camera was given to me on my 10th birthday and I still have the black and white snaps from the first film in a scrapbook.

• David, I have seen the lovely pictures you take. How do you find such beautiful pieces of nature?

My camera and I tend to hang out together wherever I go, however most of the shots are either in our garden or in the local area. Let’s face it, when you have Moss Landing, Watsonville Beaches and Monterey on your doorstep, how can you go wrong? My favorite times are hanging out in the garden and waiting for that perfect set up with the flowers, bees and butterflies – it is so rewarding when it all comes together.

If you weren’t taking pictures, what would you be doing?

I seem to collect hobbies, so the list includes golf, or more accurately, finding golf balls in long grass and wooded areas close to golf courses. More items on the hobby list include trains – Great western Railway from England, fly fishing – I once caught a 7 pound mosquito  – I enjoy tying my own flies and rod building, and occasional gardening, which includes some bonsai, cactus and succulents.


• Please tell us how the folks find your photos? Will you be participating in any selling events?

I currently host my galleries on photo.net – my page can be found at http://photo.net/photos/davidjcoombes , I have also started a new facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002954118804 Coming soon will be the web site for which the domain name is www.coombesphoto.com (under construction) which may evolve into an ecommerce site, although I am taking orders via email (coombesphoto@gmail.com) and I am exploring some of the stock photo sites such as istockphoto.com, etc.

I have several images on display in the Dragonfly Gallery in Aroma which is being run by Kathryn Aguras.

My work will be for sale at the AHA Holiday Festival at the Aromas Grange, November 19 and 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment